Eagle performed the demolition of several metal enclosures used to cover the excavation and cleanup of a historical waste disposal site located at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. This area was used from 1944 to 1948 as a waste disposal site for the Manhattan Project and Cold War-era research and production. The metal structures were built in 2010 and used to protect the public from exposure to hazardous and radiological contamination while removing the contaminated debris. Eagle demolished the metal portions of the structures (75,000 square feet) utilizing an excavator equipped with a shear. The buildings were all safely brought to the ground. Once on the ground the metal was sized and placed in waste containers where they were shipped to an approved disposal facility. Following the removal of the structures, Eagle excavated the concrete foundations. The concrete was sized and stockpiled on site for later crushing or recycling.
Eagle restored the site by backfilling the voids left by the foundation removal. Backfilling operations included meeting the required compaction for the site’s future use. Gravel was hauled to the site and graded over the disturbed areas. All work was completed on schedule.